Key Action: Cooperation for innovation and the exchange of good practices
Action Type: Strategic Partnerships for higher education
Start: 01-09-2019 – End: 31-08-2021
This project is addressed to enhance STEM students knowledge and skills in mathematics within the STEM context. Using active and collaborative learning and ICT methodology for learning will lead to enlarge students skills to solve practical problems.
Students will be an active part of the educational process using this new methodology.
Students gained knowledge and skills in maths can be applied for success in today’s world, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, and collaboration. A project of this kind is an excellent opportunity for making arguments between minds, criticizing different opinions on some topic, all of it with one goal: achieving excellent skills of maths of students to be used in everyday life.
This project is carried out by four Universities and one association as project partners.
We have 5 intellectual outputs of the project:
- Development of the mathSTEM teaching methodology and development of a Guidelines for the mathSTEM methodology.
- Open Online lessons on mathSTEM methodology
- Developing e-platform for mathSTEM method
- Designing a Summer Course
- Development of training courses for mathSTEM method
We have 2 multiplier events, 1 in Croatia and 1 in North Macedonia in order to get excellent promotion on the achievements of the project; 1 short-term joint staff training events in Croatia and 1 intensive programme for higher education learners in Ohrid, North Macedonia and 4 transnational project meetings (2 in Croatia, 1 in North Macedonia and 1 in Turkey).
After completion of the project, each partner will have specific tasks in a direction of sustainability of the project. Also planning additional activities on further developing mathSTEM method and prepare a new project will be made.
Except for the main results of the project that are already mentioned as intellectual outputs, other results are:
- Students to gain a positive attitude towards mathematics. The motivation for learning mathematics is expected to be increased, and this will gain better achievements of the students not only in mathematics but also in other STEM areas.
- University teachers to gain better competence. They will look at the teaching process from the point of view of the students and have a better understanding of it. This is the way they are going to upgrade their teaching skills.
- All of the participants will gain better linguistic and communication skills.
- Through the work on this project, meeting different people and collaborate with them, they will appreciate the differences and become more open and tolerant of the changes that have to occur in the process of education.
We can say that considering the long-term benefits with the mathSTEM method we have a new innovative approach to teaching and learning mathematics; possible implementation of the mathSTEM method in the curricular; gained new partnerships and projects to further, enhance the results of this project.